The Solus project has announced availability of Solus 2017.01.01.0, latest updated snapshot of independently developed, rolling GNU/Linux distribution that closely follows the concepts of simplicity and elegance. This is first rolling snapshot of the project.
Solus 2017.01.01.0 release announcement for both Budgie and MATE editions. It comes with several critical bug fixes and improvements. Major highlights of this snapshot can be briefed as follows:
|Preview of Solus 2017.01.01.0 Budgie & MATE Editions|
CREDIT : The Solus Project
You can find a detailed list of features/bug fixes and screenshots in original release announcement.
- An updated version of libmtp enables MTP mounting for more devices.
- Evince document reader can now handle PS and XPS files.
- eopkg, the Solus package manager comes with improved performance and it fixes issue of statelessness, which used to make Software Center not responding.
- Fixed problem of corrupted cursor while using firefox.
- VLC can now play content from SMB shares and SFTP locations. We’ve also done work on enabling subtitles for certain content played via MKV files.
- Several updated packages including Firefox 50.1.0 and Thunderbird 45.6.0
- Linux Kernel, 4.8.15, as well as 13.0.2 of the OpenGL compatible 3D graphics library, Mesa are shipped with this release which will enable improved graphics support. It also offers option to install NVIDIA drivers via DoFlicky.
- Fixed problem of ignoring swap partitions while using custom mount points.
- Software Center v15 which brings numerous bug fixes and improvements.
- Improved translations.
- Budgie 10.2.9 which fixes several critical issues before migrating to v11.0
- Solus MATE editions comes with MATE 1.16 and it is the first distribution to ship Brisk Menu, a distribution independent, efficient, modern application menu developed by Solus project in collaboration with Ubuntu MATE.