The NetBSD engineering team through Soren Jacobsen announced availability of 3rd release candidate for NetBSD 7.0, an independently developed BSD distribution. It is expected that NetBSD 7.0 RC3 will be final release candidate prior to release of NetBSD 7.0 stable.
According to release announcement published in netbsd official blog, following are some major changes after release of NetBSD 7.0 RC2.
- Add a resize_root boot operation (disabled by default). If resize_root=YES in rc.conf then the system attempts to resize the root file system to fill its partition prior to mounting read-write.
- Enable SMP on Raspberry Pi 2.
- evbarm: Rename beagleboard.img to armv7.img. The new image includes the same kernels as beagleboard.img plus support for Raspberry Pi 2, ODROID-C1, Cubieboard2, Cubietruck, Hummingbird A31, and Banana Pi.
- evbarm: For armv7.img and rpi.img, enable support for auto-growing the SD card root filesystem.
- Various DRMKMS stability improvements.
- Avoid kernel panic on starting X on Intel 855GM machines. PR kern/49875.
- Fix an uninitalized lock panic when trying to start a Xen kernel with LOCKDEBUG and more than one vcpu.
- Fix an issue where x86 microcode updates could fail if memory was not 16 byte aligned.
- Fix an IPFilter panic.
- macppc: Fix ofwboot failure on PowerPC 603 machines.
- OpenSSH: Apply fix for CVE-2015-5600.
- Fix an issue where fsck_ffs didn't properly handle replaying a WAPBL journal on disks with non-DEV_BSIZE sectors.
- Fix error in the setlist scripts that resulted in /bin/[ being missing from the base set. PR bin/50109.